Living off the land and sea, we grow, gather, hunt and fish most of our food. Urged by family and friends to share our experiences, we have turned to the Blogosphere to begin that process. Each member of the family submits articles and blog entries if and when they have something to say.
Technically, ours is not a real homestead. You can’t really homestead anywhere in the U.S. anymore, but we call it a homestead because it’s an off-the-grid, unwalled compound consisting of a cabin and outbuildings, gardens, and alternative power. Running water comes from two catchment systems, with a third in reserve. We heat our home and hot water with wood. To get home, we park our car on the road and hike in a mile and a quarter, taking into account the tides that fill the bay we have to cross on foot. Anything for the cabin must be hauled in on our backs or brought around to the beach by boat when conditions are right.
To correspond with us, you can use the comments section at the bottom of each post. You can also email us at “AKZeigersATSIGN GeeMail dot com (gmail.com)”. You can also click on the message in a bottle that bobs at the bottom of our Website pages.
We try to answer all the serious emails we get, but please be patient, as it can take us some time to respond sometimes. Of course, we reserve the right to ignore emails for any reason, but we rarely do so.
If You’re New to Blogs, Here’s How To Get Around in Ours:
- If you haven’t already, look over our home page.
- Learn about us and what we’re doing by selecting links under the “Homestead Primer: Introductory Posts” heading on the right hand side of the page.
- Click on any category under “Browse by Category” on the right side of the page.
- Start with the latest post and work backward by date using the title links at the top and bottom of each post.
- Return to the most recent page from anywhere in the blog by clicking on the blog name at the top of the page, or the “home” button in the strip under the photo.
- Subscribe via your favorite RSS Feed program to receive updates on the blog.
- Follow us on Twitter
- Visit or return to our Website through our “Related Sites” list in the right column. You can also find other articles we’ve written on The Self Reliance Exchange and elsewhere in this list.
- Visit other blogs on our “Blogs We Like” in the right column.
Most Recent Post:
Imagine my delight when, smack dab in the middle of another if my frequent Apocalyptic/Post Apocalyptic fiction binges, a new movie came out called Goodbye World. In it, friends of a young family (wife, husband and daughter, no less) who live off grid descend on their compound after a global upheaval. The general assessment that […]