On Friday we finished rebuilding the guest outhouse that got knocked over by a falling rock in September. We did very well on the project, especially considering that in one of the darkest corners of our homestead, we had about 4 hours of daylight each day in which to work.
It’s not a thing of beauty by most people’s standards, but we’re very pleased. We used building materials we had on hand, and other than working off a simple sketch, we built from scratch.
Not only did we return it to its original status, we built for the future: once the pit beneath it fills, we can easily switch to a composting system like we use in our main outhouse.
We will likely have to replace the roof, but that will need to wait till we get some roofing from the recycling center, and perhaps a little warmer weather in case we need to use roofing tar to complete the job.
Michelle is eager to add some nice touches to it, which may include a plexiglass window to shelter the user from wind off the beach and a bunch of other improvements, but it’s functional, and finished in time for family to come for Christmas, our main concern.