If Aly’s going to inhabit Shell Cottage, one of the first tasks is to improve the outhouse.
Formerly known as “the guest outhouse,” this small structure caused a lot of excitement years ago, when a small avalanche destroyed it (see Dang! There Goes the Outhouse!) requiring us to rebuild it (see The Guest Outhouse is Complete (For Now)).
The main effort of the project went into providing access. Michelle bedded a nice set of stone steps up the slope to the outhouse after we rebuilt it, but after all this time, spruce needles and other forest litter have covered them deeply. I had to shovel them off, cutting tree roots that had grown over them through the duff. I also trimmed back the devil’s club, which, while decorative, can make getting to and from the outhouse tricky and uncomfortable.
After that, I tore out the old housing to the pit, and replaced it with a compost bucket, washed the seat thoroughly, and swept up. I added a duff bucket and scoop, and we’re in business.
I’d like to widen the gap between the cottage and the surrounding rock, so the path to the outhouse isn’t so narrow, but even though the rock face is shot with fissures, it hasn’t been easy to chip away. I suppose that’ll come in time, and may be left alone if getting through the gap doesn’t cause anyone any trouble.
Aly will likely sleep in her old room for a couple of weeks, so the outhouse may not have been an urgent project. Even so, with three people on the homestead again, it’s nice to have two outhouses available.